Translate

Thursday 28 March 2013

Low GI Raspberry Jam.

We are in the throws of Autumn now and I managed to buy some of the last raspberries of the season to make into jam for the winter.

I used Low GI Chelsea sugar in place of the white sugar, so that Tim can enjoy the jam too, with no side effects.

Usual jam recipes call for 50/50 ratio of fruit to sugar, however I use less sugar, my ratios were 600g raspberries to 400g Low GI sugar. We don't like jams to sweet, after all it's suppose to be about the fruit NOT the sugar.

I got 1 & 1/2 jars of jam.Yum, I can't wait to start eating it. It will be rationed over winter. Jam making when you have to buy the fruit is quite expensive, but I think the taste makes it worth while.



As we have just moved I will be flat out planting fruit trees, berries and veges this winter/spring. We only have a lemon tree on the property at the mo, so watch this space. It will be exciting to be making jam from my own fruit in seasons to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment