Translate

Monday 24 June 2013

Tamarillo Chutney

Tamarillos are in season, and given how short the season is I always make some Tamarillo chutney. I use it in sandwiches, with cheese platters, on ploughman lunch plates and with scrambled eggs, (my favourite way of using any chutney or relish or sauce).

I added some chilli this year to the chutney just to change it up alittle. I made 4 jars of this, and probably will make some more with a different recipe. Small batches are good, that way you don't get sick of the same flavour all the time.

My Tamarillo Chutney.

1 Kg tamarillos (approx 12)
1 large apple chopped
2 onions chopped
1 1/2 C malt vinegar
1 C low GI sugar
1/4 t chilli
1 t dry mustard powder
1 glove garlic crushed
1 Ancho chilli
1 sm chiptole chilli
2 t allspice

Combine all ingredients in a large pot, stir over heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil, simmer until it thickens, stirring occasionally. Pour into sterilised jars and seal. Date and store in a dark place.



No comments:

Post a Comment