Translate

Friday 6 July 2012

My Thoughts About Sugar And It's Impact On My Family's Health

Sugar as it seems now is the major enemy in our lives. Initially with Tim on a low GI diet I found a low GI sugar that I changed over to for baking,  preserves and jams etc.
 It is" LoGiCane"  a Chelsea Sugar product. "LoGiCane has a low GI of 50 which means it has a lower impact on blood glucose, takes longer to digest and provides a slower and more sustained energy release". Brilliant for Tim and the rest of the family(I thought).
Now that George has an intolerance to sugar(any derivative from sugar cane),honey, maple syrup etc.
Our hunt started again for a solution. We have found Stevia, Agave nectar and coconut sugar.
All of which interestingly enough have a low GI too.

My grandfather having lived though a sugar shortage in war times, came to the conclusion that sugar held no value other than taste, when things returned to normal he decided that having not missed sugar he would continue to minimise his sugar use. What  foresight he had.

I'm am struggling with the fact that just about all processed products that we find in the supermarket are full of sugar. Even things like potato chips. It is amazing when you start to read the ingredient lists. George is amazed just how much she has removed from her diet because of the sugar content.

I'm very pleased that I was lucky enough to be brought up on a large farm, and that we grew our own meat, veges, pigs, hens, fruit trees etc. As this has provided me with a very real understanding of natural food and it's true value.
The saying "If your grandmother wouldn't recognise it don't put it your trolley" at the supermarket is very fitting.

We have discovered that the low GI Diet, has had the positive side effect of us all loosing weight.We didn't set out with this in mind, however it is a natural side effect of eating low sugar, low processed, highly nutritional food.

No comments:

Post a Comment