Translate

Sunday 8 July 2012

Pie Burgers(Buggers) dairy, wheat and sugar free.

"Pie burgers" as they once were known became "Pie buggers". They are a fabulous rustic pie created by my Mother In Law, Kerry, and were a firm family favourite of my husband and his siblings as they were growing up.

I have changed the pastry as my families needs have changed recently to a dairy, wheat and sugar free diet. Kerry used to make a butter, cheese, milk based pastry, I decided to try an olive oil pastry, that I added fried garlic and parsley to. I have a suspicion that it maybe tough, it certainly looks as if it will be crumbly. I will let you know....., as it would be good to find a pastry, fit for this favourite, in order to carry on a much loved tradition.

Kerry usually made a mince (ground beef or lamb)based filling for her amazing pies,  I had leftover free range roast chicken and fresh green veges from the garden, here a filling emerged. I then added onion, bacon, egg, feta and parsley.

The construction of the pie is interesting in that it is two rolled out sheets of pastry, one as a base that  you put mounds of filling on, then the other pastry sheet you lay on top, that you press down around the mix and stick it together with water or egg wash. A couple of air vents in each pie bugger, and bake. Bake at 180c until pastry is cooked.

"Pie Buggers" ready to cook.

I will let you know the outcome soon, as they are in the oven cooking as I write this post. They certainly smell good.

No comments:

Post a Comment