Translate

Tuesday 3 July 2012

Risotto

Well as you can see from the picture my poor leeks have been kept warm by the weeds, and if it ever stops raining in Auckland, I WILL take time to weed them and the other veges.

Having picked and washed the leeks I'm actually impressed with the quality of my half grown specimens.
I decided to make a Leek and Bacon risotto for dinner.
It is the mid winter school holidays here and I seem to have teenagers in and out at all hours and often many stop for dinner, so the thought of something easy to serve and eat is a great solution.

Tim made some wonderful chicken stock yesterday, after a fabulous roast chicken so it got put to good use tonight.
So the beginnings of a risotto was formed,  the only complication was that Tim can't eat rice as the GI is too high, so checking supplies it became a pearl barley risotto, which is more nutty than rice and takes a little  longer to cook, but time I do have.


I really like the taste of using barley, farro or spelt in risottos. I don't add any cheese in the cooking process as George can't have dairy. So everyone else can add their own as they serve.
A very filling winter meal made from my garden. (even if it is a bit neglected at the mo).













No comments:

Post a Comment