Translate

Sunday 26 August 2012

Amazing Tricks With Cauliflower

I was fortunate to be given 2 very large cauliflowers recently and after a few meals everyone was getting very tired of cauli. I went on line and found an amazing recipe to make Cauliflower pizza. This I had to have a go at just to see if it would work and if it would be yummy.

Firstly you blitz up the cauli in a food processor to a fine crumb,until you have about 4 cups, then I microwaved the crumb for 8 mins. There are a few ways to cook the cauli, but you want to maintain a dry crumb. I thought the microwave would be good for this and it was.

You then cool the crumb down and add 1 egg, 1/2 a cup of cheese(I used goat chevre), some finely chopped fresh herb(parsley).Mix this with your hands to get it well blended. At this point it is nothing like pizza dough.

Spread the mixture onto a pizza tray lined with baking paper to about 1-2 cms thick. Bake at 200 degs C for about 35-40 mins, until golden.

Now spread with pizza sauce and your favorite topping. I used red onion, capsicum, Chicken tenders that had been dusted with a spice mix I make and  pan fried, and some cheese (only on 1), so George could enjoy some dairy free too.
Bake for a further 5-10 mins until topping is hot.

I cooked the bases ahead and they cooled and then reheated when we were ready for dinner, this gave my pizzas a soft base. They were very yummy. I would not do this next time. I would have liked the bases to be firmer.
Neither George or Harry could work out what the bases were made of. They were tasty and left you feeling fulfilled. A nice alternative that is gluten free and dairy free if you watch your toppings, and could also be vegetarian.

No comments:

Post a Comment