Translate

Saturday 18 August 2012

Celery growing.

Well.... the slugs got my celery in the garden, I discovered I could grow celery from an old base that I had just bought at the fruit shop, instead of throwing it out to the compost bin.

I put it in a saucer of water until the center sprouted (about a week), then potted it up in an old tomato paste tin. I'm hoping that it will just keep growing and if I use the outside leaves it will become a perpetual celery plant.

However, we do use a lot of celery, I think it might be a cool way of having some celery at hand, I will have to grow more bases or grow some plants in the garden. I use most of the celery for making chicken stock.

Nice way to get something for nothing, and it reminds me of the growing experiments I used to do with the kids when they were little. You could probably use any vegetable that has a similar base structure.
eg: pak choy.








I know you can get spring onions to regrow from the roots just in a glass of water.
Experiment a little and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment